We are closely linked with both Churches in Bretherton but in particular St John the Baptist.
St John the Baptist Church, is the Anglican parish church. It is in the deanery of Chorley, the archdeaconry of Blackburn and thediocese of Blackburn. Its benefice is united with that of St Michael and All Angels, Croston. The church is designated byEnglish Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
St John's was a Commissioners' church costing £1,058. The Church Building Commission contributed £250 towards its cost. It was designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe and built in 1839–40. The land was given by George Arthur Legh Keck. The church provided seating for 400 people. In July 1840 it was consecrated by Rt Revd John Bird Sumner, at that time theBishop of Chester. The church was restored in 1898 by Sharpe's successors Austin and Paley, who also added a chancel andvestry in 1908–09.
The church is constructed in sandstone with slate roofs. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave incorporating a south porch, and a two-bay chancel under a higher roof. The style of the nave is "simple Gothic", while that of the chancel is Perpendicular. At the west end is a slender tower, the lowest stage of which constitutes a porch that is open on three sides. Above this are three string courses, the top one of which is stepped over the bell opening. At the corners are buttresses that rise to formcrocketted pinnacles. At the top of the tower between the pinnacles is a stepped parapet. A slim octagonal spire rises from the tower. The porch has an arched doorway over which is alancet window. Its top is gabled and has a cross finial. The east window has five lights and Perpendicular tracery. Inside the church is a west gallery supported on four slim iron columns. The two-manual organ was built by Ainscough Organ Builders ofPreston in 1929, and rebuilt and extended by David Wells ofLiverpool in 2000.
Bretherton Congregational Church,
Ebenezer Chapel began as an Independent chapel, a movement that eventually became the Congregational Church
We celebrated 200 year anniversary in June 2019 by creating a prayer book of Hope, shared with children, adults and the congregation. Our children sang beautifully and our brass ensemble performed 'Give me joy'.
Some of our children designed a bookmark to keep and Year 4 children painted the chapel for an exhibition during lunch.